Thursday 14 July 2011

Crazy Uncles

Tonight is going to be our 'Meet the Fockers' evening. That is, the first time we've met little Blod's other grandparents, mum and dad of Giovanna's partner, JW.

It sounds like their family might be as mad as ours. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Giovanna's brothers, Uncle Peter and Uncle Jack are vying for spot as craziest uncle. This is in no small part down to their own Uncle M (soon to be Great-Uncle M!). He's my husband's brother - I take no responsibility for him. He's been the weird and wonderful uncle who has introduced my children to things like sailing, juggling and unicycling. As a young man, when my husband was settling down with a family, he was travelling around the world, coming back full of stories, if none the wiser about the languages he'd encountered. He's always bought the looniest presents - little plastic people you throw at walls so they stick, potty putty that drove my mother-in-law up the wall. One Christmas, having just moved house, he wrapped up a pile of unwanted lamp fittings and shades to give as presents. He thought it was hilarious. Once upon a time he used to refuse to dress up for nice restaurants, favouring holey jumpers and worn jeans.

I guess you'd call that eccentric. Blod's uncles would like to emulate him. They're part way there already.

No comments:

Post a Comment