Monday 18 July 2011

Great Grandfather TC and the problem of names.

It's been a long haul finding a (real) name for Blodwyn Bubaloo. In the early days, looking at Welsh names, Giovanna came up with Myfanwy and JW liked Dylan. I had to point out that Dylan is pronounced 'Dullan' in Welsh, and Myfanwy is as old-fashioned as Ethel. Another name toyed with was Aaron. That's guaranteed to cause confusion on the pronunciation front. It used to be pronounced 'Airon', which is how Giovanna said it, but these days people say 'Arun'. Why, I wonder? If you want to call your child that, why not just spell it Arun, or Aran, or Arran. You get the idea.

I had an email from my father-in-law, Great Grandad TC today, on the subject of names. Seems he's worried what Giovanna and JW might come up with for his great-grand sprog. He's afraid Posh and Becks might have started a trend.

'We've heard of the Shrewsbury Two,' he told me. 'We all know of the Champagne Four of course,' (our nickname for ourselves and our spouses!). 'Then there's the Renault Five (guilty as hell we always thought!) - the Birmingham Six - but the Harper Seven?'

He has a point. It does sound rather like a crime syndicate. However, he thinks it, 'Sounds more like a detergent cleansing fluid.'

I pointed out that he'd forgotten the Weatherfield One and Ocean's Eleven. Then it struck me. 'Oceans Eleven'. What a great name! Now where's my daughter's number?

Seven days(ish) to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment